MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio2 » Suggestions / Feedback

Post subject: Error / Request
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:15 am 
Firstly, this is a fine program. I've used a competitors program previously, and think you've definately got the edge. I had tested 1.6 breifly before finding out about the 2-series. Immediately bought and activated.

During my initial batch run, I encountered an error. Sadly I cannot remeber the exact wording, but the gist of it was that an unknown exception had occured. One of the 10 sessions in the console then read "Session Incomplete." Although everythign else seems to have gone without a hitch.

Also, I currently use an Athlon-X2 Dual Core CPU. I noticed when running MuvAudio, that the PC seemed sluggish and unresponsive. Muv was maxing out 1 core, while leaving the other untouched. Seems odd considering the multi-tasking nature of the software.

Using the task manager, I was able to manually set the affinity of all instances of Muv and the console to use both cores. After doing so, the response of the whole PC improved, and I could see an inpressive improvement in resource utilization.

Is there any chance you could incorporate better multithreading support or some optimization to auto set teh affinity properly?

Thanks for any input. For reference, I'm using the 2.0.33 beta version.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 am 
I forgot to mention, but the progress bars in the console also stopped moving after I received teh error, although tracks continued to be converted. The bars simply no longer updated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:04 am 
Wondering if I might get any advise or a response at all to my inquiry. Unfortunetly I am unable to achieve 10X recording with the program as is. The tracks recrod, but I get skips and pops.

If I set the affinity to each new instance of muv as it's created, then I can achive 10X, but the overhead in my doing so can also cause issues.

I've tried using a tool called "SetAffinity" whihc modifies a header on most windows executables to force them to have their affinity mask set to use both cores by default, but for some reason MuvAudio2.exe and MucAudio2Console.exe crash the program. Never had another file to this.

I'm at a loss.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

With v1.6, users that had dual core systems would get occasional freezes of their computer. We could not figure out the issue. With v2, we have figured out that the auto multi-threading of each process between multiple cores was the cause of these freezes.

When MuvAudio ran multiple instances,and one cpus usage decreased to where "Windows" thought, for better performance, it would move that proces along with everything associated with it in the cache to a processor that was the lesser used processor, there was a chance of a "deadlock", maybe not exactly a deadlock per se , but it could freeze the system.

By forcing all processes to use processor 0 (your first U), we fixed the issue with the freezing processors. This is what you are currently seeing.

We have been testing an algorithm we created to split up each process onto different cpus based on the number of cpus and the number of processes.

We are testing that on a P4 w/ HT (acts as dual core and showed the same freezing issue). We will also be receiving an X2 3800+ shortly to do tests on as well.

Once this is complete, if it is successful, we will update MuvAudio2 to use this and provide better performance for dual core, or more, systems.

BTW, what rating of processor are you using? In the meantime, we recommend recording at a slower speed than 10x.

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:58 pm 
Thanks for the reply. Knowing that the issue is being looked into certainly helps put my mind at ease.

I'm currently using an Athlon X2 4600+. I discovered that using the "SetAffinity" applet to switch the muvaudio.exe processes to use each core as they are created works without and crashes. SetAffinty is able ot do this quicker than the standard windows Task Manager. It works, but it's tedious.

I agree that auto assigning cores based on job quantity is a far more elegant solution if it can be done. I'm more than willing to test any code.

Thanks again for the response.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Our test processor should arrive today and hopefully we'll have a test version shortly.

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:52 am 
Site Admin

In v2.0.6.0 we have added the ability to try to use multiple cores (at your own risk). If when running this way, your system freezes, please remove the file that enables multiple core and let us know.

To enable multicore usage, create a file "multiproc.txt" in your main MuvAudio2 folder. Then run MuvAudio2. From now on, with that file in your installed folder, MuvAudio2 will assign processes as evenly as possible across multiple cores.

Thank you,

Board index » MuvAudio2 » Suggestions / Feedback