MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Couple of clarifications might help
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:48 am 

Hey Renzska,

Still enjoying your program. Thanks so much for allowing me to participate in the beta. MuvAudio is the best, bar none!

I've been keeping up with the issues and questions in the forum and have a couple of suggestions that might help answer some questions up front for potential users.

1) I think that I might mention on the front page in the features section about the limitation of the trial version of VAC that is included with trial version of MuvAudio and how it puts the word trial into the recorded audio. I know that it's on the download page, but I'll bet that by the time people get to the download page a lot of them don't take the time to read the limitations of the trial version. I think that I would bold that statement in both the features section and on the download page.

2) Put something into the features list that talks about the digital quality of the recorded audio and about how it takes the sound card completely out of the picture. I know that you alluded to those features when you talk about it reproducing the best possible quality recording, but I still see a lot of people telling you what sound card they have when asking for help which leads me to believe that don't understand about the sound card not being involved.

(I know I said a couple of suggestions, but here's a third.)

3) It might be good to post something on the Support page and maybe in a sticky, read-only topic that is at the top of the Support section of the forum that lays out the basic type of information you'd like to have people include whenever asking for support. I see that many times people will just post something about a specific problem without any context of whether they were using the computer for other things at the time, how many instances of MA they had running, what their system configuration is, what verion of MA they are using, etc. I would think that including this information in the original request would help you to troubleshoot the problem which allows you to provide a solution to the end user more quickly which is what both you and the user are looking for.

Just a few random thoughts. Keep up the great work!

Catbert43

Last edited by catbert43 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks catbert43,

Those are all great ideas and I plan on putting them into practice shortly. I'm always looking for ways to better support the users and save time.

Thanks again,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I have implemented your ideas. If you have any others or if you have any refinements to the ones I implemented, please let me know.

May I post some of your quotes on the customer testimonials of www.muvaudio.com?

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:54 pm 

I took at look at what you implmented and it all looks good to me. Hopefully, it will help everyone in the long run.

Absolutely! Please quote away!

Catbert43

Post subject: Technical Issue / Clarification needed
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:04 am 

Renzska
I read the comment below by Catbert43 and it triggered a question or clarification that I need to understand.
--------------
"2) Put something into the features list that talks about the digital quality of the recorded audio and about how it takes the sound card completely out of the picture. I know that you alluded to those features when you talk about it reproducing the best possible quality recording, but I still see a lot of people telling you what sound card they have when asking for help which leads me to believe that don't understand about the sound card not being involved."
--------------
If the sound card isn't involved then how come a .wma conversion done twice on the same file generates two different .mp3 files with different sums or .md5 results? I noticed this behavior after a crash of my machine during conversions. Unfortunately that bug/feature of muvaudio not renaming or deleting files until it has completed all of the current batch's cycle bit me. So when restarted, the same files were converted a second, and unfortunately a third and forth time. I'm still not sure what was causing the crashes, but ignoring that, all of the conversions for the same files, while having the same size output have different md5 and posix sum results. I kind of figured I could eliminate duplicate conversions by sorting on the md5 and name as a key and only taking the first copy of the file. But no, that doesn't seem to work.

So here is the rub, Why are each of the converted output files different? Is it related to the behavior of my sound card? If the sound card's audio behavior is out of the loop as described above, why do the files convert differently? Is there something in the .mp3 files output that reflects something that changes each time it is converted? What then can be used to uniquely identify a file's output and eliminate duplicate conversions?
-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:37 am 
Site Admin

v1.1 includes the deletion and moving as each track finishes (though, due to WMP keeping the song in memory until two songs after having played, the deletion doesn't delete a completed file until the second song after it has started to play).

As far as different MD5 checksums are concerned, the recording is still done in real-time, but using a method that gives the same quality as the original, therefore the recording starts within milliseconds before the song plays. Everytime you record, this can be different, both for the starting and stopping of recording. If you were able to cut a piece out of the middle of the song for the same song from two different files, you would probably get the same checksum, but since the beginning and end vary slightly in terms of milliseconds the checksums will be different for the whole track.

(Off the topic a little) You may notice that some songs recorded length may be listed as either 1 second shorter or one second longer than the original. This is due to the fact that a song is never exactly on the second mark and depending on how the program rounds the song length to display the song length the few millisecond difference on a track can make say, a 2:34.499 song to actually be 2:34.500, and so the player will be display 2:34 for the original and 2:35 for the recorded track, if the player rounded at .5 of a second.

I hope this helps explain the difference in MD5 checksums. With v1.1, you shouldn't have to do much of a search in this way.

Thank you,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am 

Renzska,
Thanks for the quick feedback. Yes that answered the question. I guess I will need to write a small script to clean up the duplicates based solely on name. NP. It shouldn’t be hard to identify the dups since they end in -1, -2 … What is a little more difficult is to determine what the source .wma was since the naming isn’t a one to one match. Your fix in version 1.1 for file deletion and renaming should be a reasonable solution even if it is 2 files behind. It will minimize crash damage control.

I noticed another minor anomaly which you might consider in ver 1.1. In automated mode if the list of .wma files in the directory is large, say more then 200, or very large, say over 1000, the time it takes to get the streams running is rather large. Unless I am wrong, it appears also that the machine resources used increases as well. I haven't proven it to myself yet, but I am guessing you're trying to preprocess the entire list of songs and assign the entire list of available files equally in processing time to the number of streams the user has specified, preprocessing the lists and computing the processing times in advance. This is a killer if the list is large.

You might want to contemplate only assigning a user specified maximum, (say a default of 20 or 30 files) to each stream and allowing the remaining files to be picked up on the next iteration of the "check for new files". This would limit the resources used. I know that would impact the precomputed time for completion but it would free up some machine resources and speed up the cycle time of each iteration’s startup. Right now I have to break them up into batches of about 40-60 files max moving files into and out of directories both because of the deletion issue as well as the startup resource issue.
-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

We will check into this issue and see how we can speed it up. You are correct in the fact that we search the whole directory, add all files, split them all up, then load MuvAudio (the shortened version of the story). We'll check the cpu usage as well and see what we can do.

Thank you,

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]