MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Detecting Conversion Glitches (Pops); Max # of VACs ..
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:56 pm 

:?:
renzska,
I've been running my Muvaudio version 1 on a 3.0 gHz machine and have yet to hear a pop or a glitch even with 5 VACs running and other programs, some of them heavy hitters, running as well. I noticed your comments about 4 VACs top and lowering the threshold based on CPU. At first my question was going to be how about upping the limit to 8 VACs. I guess my question is what causes a burp? CPU usage or I/O, a combination, or what? Can we (you) up the limit beyond 5 some time in ver 1.1?

Then the next question was: could you detect when a conversion had failed its realtime processing? Is there a register or some other flag you can read to see if the conversion has a defect in it? The thought would be to allow a user to know the recording might be defective or better, give them to option to reprocess a glitched conversion.

What do you think?
-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:33 pm 

As a beta tester with very similar processor power to you, I found that four instances represented the maximum number of VAC's I could run and still be assured of quality conversions. Once that level gets exceeded, problems can start cropping up.

The reason the software is currently limited to five VACs is that Windows Media Player goes nuts if you try to run more than five concurrent sessions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:06 pm 

:shock: Windows Media Player goes nuts :shock: :wink:

Well I have been successful with 5 VACs running and have converted hundreds of files. No, I have only listened to random samplings of them but nothing has "popped" out of it. Without the knowledge of how the conversions are occurring I am wondering what taxes the machine. Frankly I had it running full bore while running 5 VACs and also some programs doing various computations, monitored it all and never saw a glitch.

From observation using the limited cpu / memory / pages … analysis MS offers, I don’t see my 5 VACs using more then about 30% of the resources. Hence the reason for my question.

Do you get the same results on your machine?
-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm 

VAC is primarily responsible for taxing the machine, but doing the file dumping to disk is where problems can arise. My machine won't tolerate an anti-spyware scan and MuvAudio running at the same time. Usually MuvAudio just crashes at that point, leaving VAC set as my primary sound "card." That means no system sounds.

When glitches occur, it usually turns up as clipped audio or the watery pop sound or chirping you get with a corrupted MP3. Unless you listen to the entire song, it's easy to miss.

It's the spikes in system resource grabs that cause all the problems, not the overall running of the conversion.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

You can run the "MuvAudio Reset Soundcard" application to reset your soundcard when the error you described occurs, so that you will be able to use your system with sound. (Or you can use the control panel - sound and audio devices.)

WMP limits the max open playlists at six (we stop at 5 vacs because of dedicated mode using the 6th possible playlist). It throws an unknown exception and we have not found a solution for this problem.

All systems are different in the skip regard. The best way to record is by doing a fresh reboot. This frees all memory that may sometimes not be released by other programs that you have been running since your last reboot. The most important factors are probably the cpu and harddrive speed, in that order.

Any other questions?

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]