MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another suggestion for release 1.1
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:05 am 

renzska,
Another suggestion for ver 1.1. In batch processing mode (multiple VACs) put in a pause processing button. If you cant stop things immediately without messing up the current songs being converted, which I understand, then flag the VAC streams to suspend processing before starting the next song.

I suppose quiting and exit is ok, but I wasnt sure if that didn't mess up the deletion/moving of already recorded files based on the current crash behavior of not moving files until the stream is finished. A pause button would be fine to allow you to dynamically stop processing in a few minutes and allow some other work on the machine for a few minutes and then resume.

Alternately, maybe some method to change the number of VACs running dynamically would help. The thought being I am running 5 but want to do some alternate processing now, drop it to 2 for a while, and then I could up it to 5 again when I am done.

If you do the latter I suppose you could just drop (leave) the remaining files in the "to be processed" directory to be picked up on the next round of processing cycle or when a new VAC was reopened for processing.

Maybe do a pause button and dynamic VAC scaling - Pause would be 0 VACs

-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:19 am 
Site Admin

There is in essence a "Pause" button. If you notice, when recording in a VAC session, you have a "Resume" and a "Stop" button. "Stop", stops recording the current song, and resume will start recording on that song again. We didn't word it as pause as it actually has to start the song over (otherwise you get a little blurp in the middle if you actually paused the song and started recording at that same part in the song to resume recording.)

Would you prefer it to say "Pause" even though it stops that song and restarts it?

As far as dynamic changing, are you referring to dedicated mode? In this instance, you could actually just stop a few sessions that are recording, and then hit resume to continue them later.

We will add some documentation to make this feature more known as a few people have asked us about adding this feature though it was already there.

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11 am 

My error. I handn't thought to open each window separately. I suppose when the delete/move function is corrected in ver1.1 you will have effectively provided the same functionality -- [b]although not quite[/b].

By stopping a VAC and never restarting it, I suspect you will never complete the iteration of current cycle process cycle and until that VAC completes it's list of songs you won't go back to restart the other VACs on their next iteration of available songs in the to-be-processed directory.

Name of the button(s) is/are fine as they are.

Thoughts?
-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

If you exited the console and stopped the recording process when using dedicated mode, dedicated mode would then search your directory and reinitiate the cycle.

Dedicated mode basically looks for open instances of MuvAudio before searching for new files to convert.

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:31 pm 

Kind of yes, kind of no. One of the fixes you need to deal with in ver1.1 is if you exit from the batch mode using the exit button it leaves partial .mp3 files (or whatever conversion type) it was working on. Incomplete files should always be deleted upon exit. I had to write a script to go clean up duplicate files by looking for the largest file of the same name and deleting the smaller ones. Anoying.

I think what you have shown me-- using the individual consoles to stop / restart processing; combined with the planned fixes in 1.1 to address deleting/moving files after each song is completed, along with the fix above to delete partial files, would deal with my request in this post chain.

Maybe one last item would be icing on the cake, an option not to reprocess the same file already processed if it exists in the output directory already-- or at least overwrite it. Because of the current 1.0 bug/feature, and even with the fix you have proposed for ver 1.1, stopping and restarting processing will always leave a duplicate file around occasionally. You are doing the right thing by adding a -1 -2 ... to the name but an overwrite mode might be more desirable for restarting after a crash. If Muv reprocesses a file and the older version (also shorter since it is a truncated .mp3) would be overwritten rather then leaving it around. An option to overwrite files with the same name rather then adding the -n might fix this issue. For me it would save a lot of cleanup work.

BTW, I REALLY appreciate the rapid and concerted responses you have been putting into this thing and involvement of your interest. Truly you set a new standard of excellence. I am overwhelmingly impressed!

-Doc

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

We'll try to address the leftover files on the stopping of recordings. We have some code in there that tries to do that, but we need to clean it up a little bit and use it in a few different areas to ensure that it does the best it can.

We'll see what we can come up with. For v1.1 we might not have the issue where a crash occurred, leaving you with a incomplete file. We'll have to look into that for v1.2 but we'll try to get all the other situations cleaned up in this regard for v1.1, even if it means holding it back for a little while.

We're glad you are impressed. We believe that the software is only 50% of the product. The other 50% is the support and listening to the user. Who cares about the product if you aren't supported through your struggles or issues (or requests, for that matter).

Thanks again for all of your input. It has been invaluable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]