MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Take On MuvAudio
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:09 pm 

Hello all

For the past several months, I have been using, or trying to use, MuvAudio. The release of 1.3/VAC 3.10 has taken care of the lockup problems I was having, but the resulting bugs have left me shaking my head in amazement/sorrow. Allow me to explain:

The heart of this program is the VAC, and after much trial and error, I have concluded that the VAC works fine. What you have effectively done is taken VAC and built a wrapper or interface around it. It is this interace that is causing so much grief.

Just two nights ago, I did a dedicated recording of about 150MB worth of songs. Woke up in the morning to find over 1.5GB worth of songs in my output directory. Why? For some reason, MuvAudio did not delete the recordings in the input directory; ergo, it just kept recording them over, again and again.

I have given up trying to convert from wma to a VBR (Studio) MP3 via the dedicated mode; the MP3's are not recorded correctly. Example: Steely Dan, 'Aja". After the dedicated mode is complete, the first second or so of the song 'Aja" is cut off, and no, I do not have the 'eliminate silence at the beginning of song' box checked. I then attempted to record the album from the non-dedicated, or playlist, option. The album recorded perfectly.

OK, since I want to record in dedicated mode, and cannot trust this method to record as an MP3, I decided to convert from wma to wma, and will re-encode to MP3 later using a different program. So, I set the option to wma, 192, 44khz, and saved this as my default profile. When I re-start MuvAudio, it tells me there is an error in the directory, and all my defaults have changed. I try again and again, and get the same message. OK...I've done something wrong. Two hours later, I figure what the heck, and change the encoding back to MP3 and save. Reload MuvAudio, and voila! It loads my saved defaults. Change the encoding back to wma, and the error message pops back up.

This is just a sample of the things I have been dealing with, and it all revolves around your user interface. Conflicts between the interface and VAC? Who cares? Certainly not me. You put the package together. If I am having trouble with my power steering unit, I am going to Ford, not the power steering manufacturer. Ford built the **** car.

Yet if I am having so many problems, why have I purchased TWO copies of your program? Quite simply, because it is the only real game in town. And that last sentence should really get your attention.

You're sitting on a gold mine. I would pay $100 without batting an eye for a polished version of this program. Without going into detail, we ALL know why we are using this program, and a hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket. Eventually, another player will emerge who can deliver that polished program, and I will shop there.

Normally I don't bother with these kind of discussions, but your program offers such potential, I just have to add my two cents. Your interface is clean, simple, visually pleasing, and easy to operate. It appears to be about 95% complete, but it is that last 5% that drives me nuts. You appear to be very responsive to user problems in the forum, and have a pretty good sense of humor. I can't think of any reason why you cannot nail the last 5% of this program. But in the end, I, like most people, vote with my wallet.

Thanks for your time.
-BinaryGeek

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Binary Geek,

Thank you for your comments. As with most programs, there can and usually will be problems. MuvAudio is no exception. We are continually trying to make it bug free but we do require some input from our customers (which is why we are glad that you made this post). We really want to catch the WMA as a default setting output bug, but have not been able to reproduce it properly, or get all of the the input from someone who has experienced it, that we need to fix it.

First off, what operating system are you using, Windows 2003? If so, we will try doing a virtual machine installation of 2003 to see if we can recreate it and fix it, but we need to know these kind of details to properly squash the bug.

We will hold off on releasing v1.4 until we find a solution for this bug, so please email admin@muvaudio.com as soon as you can with any information that may help us with this issue.

On to the second issue: dedicated mode.

If you record in dedicated mode from wma to wma, do you get the first second of the song cut off, or does it not matter what the output type is set to and you get the second cut off due to dedicated mode?

Here, again, the operating system is important to know.

We are working on a way to have dedicated mode actually not require having a MuvAudio window open. This should help decreased memory usage and allow for another nice feature... This probably won't make it into the v1.4 release.

Any information about exact settings used in dedicated mode that you think may be relevant would be very helpful as well.

For example,
"Are you converting from the same drive to the same drive?"
"OS"
"Memory"
"Recording Speed"
"etc."

And, the third problem:

The output of 1.5gb of songs. Do you happen to know what your output directory, and your watch directory were? You said you chose the option to delete the files upon recording completion, is that correct?

We will definitely try to figure out why this happened and see if we can replicate the problem. And again, anything that you think would be helpful in troubleshooting this issue, could you send that to admin@muvaudio.com.

Just to clarify one thing:

Quote:
This is just a sample of the things I have been dealing with, and it all revolves around your user interface.

When you said the above, you were referring not to the gui but to the actual problems that you are experiencing, am I correct?

We are very serious about taking the 95% and turning it into 100%. Hopefully, with some help from those users that are experiencing these issues, we will be able to do this.

Thank you,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:35 pm 

Before I begin, let may state that I am not requesting any technical assistance. I can get the program to do what I need it to do, but only after many hours of trial and error and with the assistance of about 100 Tylenol. I was simply stating why I am interested seeking out an alternate product. Nor am I interested in becoming any type of beta tester etc...

In good faith, though, I feel I owe the best analysis I can give you of the problems for a couple of reasons: First, I started this, and secondly, even though this program is not (supposed to be) beta, it certainly is priced like it. I consider 20 bucks mere peanuts for what the program delivers, and out of this I'm sure you have to pay a fee for the VAC.

Quote:
We really want to catch the WMA as a default setting output bug, but have not been able to reproduce it properly, or get all of the the input from someone who has experienced it, that we need to fix it.

OK...here is the message I get when attempting to load the default setting that includes wma setting:

'A file in your playlist is not valid. Please remove this file from your playlist and try again.' In addition, this default changes the Directory Output to 'Document and Settings\Owner\My Documents...ad nauseum.

If I have wma set in a user-defined (not default) setting, and I load it, I get the same message as above, but the Directory Output does remain correct; or as I have previously defined it. While writing this, I have played around with different preset extensions (ogg, flac, mp4) and get the same error message as above. In fact, the only one that does load correctly is MP3. The following is the MuvAudio-generated error log:

The parameter is incorrect.

Stack Trace:
at AudioCtl.CAudioRecordClass.set_DeviceLineIndex(Int32 pVal)
at MuvAudio.Form1.g(String A_0)
at MuvAudio.Form1.a8(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MuvAudio.Form1.a(Message& A_0)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

System.Web.Services, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

mscorlib, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Windows.Forms, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Design, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Drawing, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

Interop.WMPLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5588711e778962bb

AxInterop.VBOLock, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5588711e778962bb

vumeterled, Version=1.0.1949.35289, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5588711e778962bb

AxInterop.WMPLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5588711e778962bb

Interop.AudioCtl, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5588711e778962bb

System.Xml, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Management, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

System.ServiceProcess, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

Quote:
First off, what operating system are you using, Windows 2003?

Quote:
For example,
"Are you converting from the same drive to the same drive?"
"OS"
"Memory"
"Recording Speed"
"etc."

I use Windows Xp Home.
Dell Inspiron 1150
Mobile 2.66GHz Pentium 4 (AC power, running at full speed)
512 MB Ram
60 GB 5400 8MB cache hard drive, converting to and from this drive.
Recording speed: 3

Quote:
If you record in dedicated mode from wma to wma, do you get the first second of the song cut off, or does it not matter what the output type is set to and you get the second cut off due to dedicated mode?

While recording from wma to wma in dedicated mode, the output file is correct. While doing this with a Studio ( or Extreme) VBR MP3 output in dedicated mode, I lose the first second or so. After the first second, the file plays as it should. The Studio VBR MP3 ouput is correct (file is correct) if I do not use the dedicated mode. Go figure.

Quote:
And, the third problem:

The output of 1.5gb of songs. Do you happen to know what your output directory, and your watch directory were? You said you chose the option to delete the files upon recording completion, is that correct?

I spent a few hours this afternoon trying to replicate this one again, and finally figured it out. The songs I loaded into my dedicated watch directory were read-only (copied via a DVD to the hard drive; they are automatically written as read-only when burned.) If you attempt to delete a read-only file through a file manager, a box will pop up telling you the file is read only, and asking you to verify that you really want to delete this. My guess on this is that MuvAudio tried to perform the delete operation, but the delete was not performed. MuvAudio may have assumed they were deleted, so when it looks back into the dedicated watch directory, it sees what it thinks are new files, and the conversion operation begins anew. The files are written to the output directory with a ~1, ~2, etc attached to the end of the song, because, of course, the song is the same.
Quote:
When you said the above, you were referring not to the gui but to the actual problems that you are experiencing, am I correct?

Yes, I was referring to the problems, not the GUI. Let me reinforce that I like the interface and find it very simple and clean.

Regards,
BinaryGeek

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks BinaryGeek,

We were able to track down two of the problems you mentioned. The not deleting when read-only and the saved settings giving the error on startup.

You can download the latest RC from [old link removed] to verify that the errors don't occur.

A future version of MuvAudio should address the dedicated mode issue along with some nice tweaks to that mode to decrease the time it takes to record the files.

We appreciate your comments and the information you gave us. It was very helpful in fixing these two issues.

Please let us know if you have any other problems with this Release Candidate.

Thank you,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Suggestions / Feedback [Archived]