MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvUnder Cover: The Album Art Sleuth » Miscellaneous

Post subject: Where to save album art files...
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:29 am 

Hi John(?)

I'm a pretty remedial user. So far your software has been great. I have most of my CD collection saved as FLAC files in folders for each artist with subfolders for each album/CD title. Artists are grouped into 5 larger folder by genre, i.e. "Jazz", "World Music", "Blues", etc. I imagine many others use a similar scheme...

I play my music back using foobar2000 by dragging and dropping in either M3U playlists or individual songs from my list of files in a "my computer" window. Foobar is showing the art fine in both cases. i.e. either from a playlist or individual song file. But I'd love to be able to see at least thumbnails of the art when scrolling through my album files in "my computer". Is there a way to accomplish this?

Also, I think it would help people like me with basically no understanding of "tags" to have your tutorial explain more about why one might want to choose to save their art in the folder for each title, rather than embedded somewhere. What are the pros and cons of each choice? Is the reason I can't see a file for the art when I look at my files in "my computer" unless I check the box because the default choice embeds the image somewhere in each FLAC file? I'm unclear on how this works, or why one might choose that over just having the image in a separate file where I can see it. In other words, why isn't that the default choice? Why would a user prefer to have their album art in some mysterious place that they can't see? It doesn't seem to make any difference in how Foobar displays the art- it works fine either way. So what is the point of this option? (I hope this is making sense...)

Lastly, is there a way to upgrade to the newer versions, or do we just have to pay another $15 each time you release another version?

Thanks in advance,
riverrat

Post subject: Re: Where to save album art files...
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Direct support requests are a higher priority than forum requests. We try to respond as quickly as possible on both but sometimes the forum falls behind (we also encourage feedback on forum questions by other posters)... If you ever need an answer sooner, you can always send the same question via our support page.

Quote:
But I'd love to be able to see at least thumbnails of the art when scrolling through my album files in "my computer". Is there a way to accomplish this?

This is determined by Windows. At this time I don't think any version of Windows supports showing the images embedded in .flac files or a bunch of other formats for that matter so the answer would be no. I don't think it even checks for album artwork in the same folder as the .flac files. :(

For your second paragraph:

We have plans for an update that improves that dialog (more of the options dialog rather than a tutorial but a tutorial would be useful).

Basically, embedded images are always with the file and not dependent on other software to "bring the .jpg" along with the file when synced, coped, etc. The con of this is that it takes up more space.

This is the default as our software supports embedding artwork in a large number of file formats that other programs do not support. We have plans to support choosing between embedding and saving locally (right now it embeds and saves locally if you choose for it to save locally).

We provide the save local option because more advanced users like this method of storing the artwork.

I hope that provides some insight to those options.

Quote:
Lastly, is there a way to upgrade to the newer versions, or do we just have to pay another $15 each time you release another version?

Upgrade costs are only incurred between major versions (v1.x to v2.x) and are normally discounted by at least 50%. Minor updates (v1.1 to v1.2) are free.

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject: Re: Where to save album art files...
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:01 pm 

Great very helpful, thanks!

Board index » MuvUnder Cover: The Album Art Sleuth » Miscellaneous