MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvEnum Address Bar » Suggestions / Feedback

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Post v2.1.0.0 Bugs and/or Suggestions Here
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Post any bugs or suggestions you have with MuvEnum Address Bar v2.1.0.0 here.

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject: Re: Post v2.1.0.0 Bugs and/or Suggestions Here
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 pm 

If I enter a directory (i.e. c:\foo) and c:\foo does not exist, the MuvEnum address bar appends the request to http:// and tries it as a URL. I personally would prefer to have a dialog box say something like "Does not exist--try again" rather than opening a browser, etc.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:28 am 

Hello John,

thank you very much for this great version! It works perfectly on my Win XP home German-version, also the global hotkey!

I found only one mistake:
- If you don't deactivate the MuvEnum Address Bar before uninstalling it, it clears/kills your complete taskbar. This mean, after a reboot, the taskbar is empty. Maybe you can deactivate it before in your uninstalling-program?

The only things what you can improve, if you want:
- make the search configurable
- enable "clear history" like "options"
- make the tab-key working. I know, I know... :-)

I have one question:
- to deactivate the title, I have to do a right click on the "address". where do you save this information? I don't find anything about the "title" in the user.config

Thank you for this great MuvEnum Address Bar!

Greetings from Germany
R@iner

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad you are liking it. :)

I'll look to see if it is possible to deactivate the address bar from the uninstaller.

Quote:

I'll add this to the list.

Quote:

Do you mean being able to type "clear history" in the address bar, hitting enter, and having the history cleared?

Quote:
- make the tab-key working. I know, I know...

:shock:

Quote:
I have one question:
- to deactivate the title, I have to do a right click on the "address". where do you save this information? I don't find anything about the "title" in the user.config

The title is part of the actual deskband object (the type of control my program is to be able to be added to the taskbar). It pulls this from the name of the object and therefore may be able to be changed as a setting. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks,

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:21 am 

Quote:

Do you mean being able to type "clear history" in the address bar, hitting enter, and having the history cleared?

Adding multiple settings (activate/deactivate) through the actual address bar seem "to me at least" bad UI design - if that is the only method offered. One entry point "options" is fine but adding more requires a user to remember too much. After all most users will set it up and rarely touch it again.
The alternative which would suit both requests is to keep the "Clear List" button and add the ability to clear the list from the address bar.
Pete

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm 

seriously though,

tab

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 am 

Hello John,

Quote:
Quote:

I'll add this to the list.

:-)

Quote:
Quote:

Yes exactly, I mean this as an additional way to clear fast the history list. Not for replacing the button "clear history"

Quote:
Quote:
- make the tab-key working. I know, I know...

:shock:

:-)

Quote:
Quote:
I have one question:

The title is part of the actual deskband object (the type of control my program is to be able to be added to the taskbar). It pulls this from the name of the object and therefore may be able to be changed as a setting. I'll have to look into it.

Ok

Thank you!
R@iner

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 am 

Here's a bug. This is what the control panel looks like on my laptop:

For some reason, laptops have awkward screens and things don't always appear properly depending on how you have it setup. I find this to be true with many programs on my laptop. Usually the buttons are misaligned or slightly off the window. In this particular case, they are just missing altogether. Laptop Screen Settings: 1680x1050, 32 Bit Color, Clear Type, Font Size: Normal, Large Size: 120 DPI.

On my desktop LCD they are appear just fine.

Of course I just upgraded to this new version and I thank you for the features. Another thing I see a problem with is when typing in an address into the address bar, just like the windows version pre-SP3 you could type in a domain and hit CTRL+ENTER and it would add the http://www. + .com to the domain. In your latest version, this does NOT work for Google. For some strange reason if I type in google and hit CTRL+ENTER, I am immediately sent to:

http://www.beauscott.com/examples/help_ ... amples.htm

And for the life of me I can not figure out why. It does this on all my PC's. Very strange. But all other domains work properly.

Lastly, I truely miss the feature of being able to type in the name of anything on my desktop and have it open. On my computers I change the names of things on the desktop (XP) such as My Computer I change to "System", and My Documents I change to "Dean" (my name). I also have shortcuts and a specific folder called "Download" which is where I save everything I D/L. The XP SP2 address bar allowed me to type in any name of a folder, or shortcut on my desktop such as System, Dean, Download etc into the address bar and it would open that folder or shortcut without starting a web browser. I truly miss this feature.

Now if I type "System", I get the windows system folder, if I type Dean, the (My documents) folder opens correctly. If I type Download and hit enter, I get a browser with Page Cannot Be Displayed. as it tries to go to http://Download.

Any way to get strict operations of the original XP address bar? and BTW, I have no complaints about using text commands such as "clear all" and "options" to perform tasks. I know how to type, and I type fast so it works for me.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the detailed information. I didn't know about the desktop feature. It's actually quite disappointing the I have never been able to find any documentation provided by Microsoft about the address bar toolbar. I'll definitely look into everything you mentioned.

I'll also take a look into the DPI issues. I just plain forgot to test on a higher DPI virtual machine so hopefully I can get that sorted out in the next update.

Thanks again,

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:55 pm 

There is a behavior in 2.1 that I think is a bug, but it may be intentional or I may be misunderstanding what it supposed to happen. If I type a word, for example "cnn" into the address bar and hit CTRL-ENTER then (to continue the example) it changes to "http://www.cnn.com" and that page is opened in the default browser. If, however, the name I typed matches a local folder in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory (like "microsoft" or "adobe") then that local folder is opened instead. I'm not sure which behavior is intended -- I prefer opening the browser -- but I think it should at least be consistent.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We run processes first and then check for urls. I'll probably modify the behavior to check for "ctrl+enter" first and if it is detected, flag it as a webpage so it skips over trying to run the process. (If you type microsoft in the "Run Dialog" it will open the folder to c:\windows\system32\microsoft)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:48 pm 

Quote:
I didn't know about the desktop feature. It's actually quite disappointing the I have never been able to find any documentation provided by Microsoft about the address bar toolbar. I'll definitely look into everything you mentioned.

I too rely heavily on this behavior, but I noticed that a few things are missing. Firstly, I tried to use the Special Folders behavior as a work-around, but the directory listing that you get when you type full local paths only works for one directory deep, and seemingly only for the Desktop special folder. Could this work for all Special Folders at multiple hierarchies?

Also, in general, I would like to see all potentially matched targets (local, special folders, etc) appear in the suggestion list along with browsing history. Compiling a prioritized list of possible targets (such as special folder names, favorites, executable programs, etc) would also allow one to disambiguate which target they want. So if I type 'system' and have a favorite named 'system', the windows\system folder, and perhaps even a desktop item named 'system' as previously mentioned, it would display three completion suggestions, one for each possible target, with the highest priority target as the default. Then if we need to, we could arrow to the correct target.

Another problem I've noted is that when I do use the Desktop special folder, and it lets me browse to the first level of file/folder names, it does so with a list of ALL desktop items, from both my profile AND the All Users profile. But if I choose an item that's actually on my All Users desktop, it instead tries to open a webpage. I can only assume that the list comes from a special folders enumeration api and is being checked against the profile specific local path. It should probably search both (same for many other Special Folders if they follow suit) and take the first valid one?

On a similar note, favorites with spaces in their names do NOT seem to work for me. Again, I think a lot of this logic could be sorted out by always trying a prioritized list of valid targets that would simply be filtered for the auto-complete display, and then always assume exact matches (or key'd to matches) are the desired targets. Perhaps have a key modifier for forcing browser url or search behaviors?

Other than these points, I think this program replicates most of the behavior that I was missing when I installed SP3, and I think it's great that improvements will be made as well! I'll be making a donation as soon as I can, Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm 

Hello and thank you for creating this little tool. I only have one suggested improvement: Allow me to make the bar as small as I want! I use my monitor vertically oriented at 1280x1024 for coding and my taskbar real estate is very valuable :)

Thanks again!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have released v3.0.0.0 which adds many of the requested features and fixes many of the issues mentioned as well: http://www.muvenum.com/downloads/

@skyteddy: Search is now configurable. You can now type "clearhistory" from the address bar to clear the history (it does not prompt you and removes the "clearhistory" entry from view as well). And finally, I was able to get the Tab-Key working for going through the autocompletion list!!!!!

@randazzm: seriously added, tab

@DVHost: I've added support for DPI settings higher than 96 so the options dialog should now show correctly. I have also added support for showing desktop items in the autocomplete list along with the ability to type them in like you mentioned though it may not work for renamed special folders like you mentioned. This may have to be fixed/updated in a future version.

@jmetzner: This didn't make it into v3.0.0.0 but will definitely be addressed in a future update.

@Two-bits: We've worked on some of what you've mentioned. In the next version, we'll try to improve upon this as much as possible. Thanks for the detailed information.

@apinomus: We originally modeled the size after the Vista address bar. It seems that XP lets you go as small as you want. I hope we found a happy median for the size based on minimum size commands like "cmd" and "regedit" while avoiding confusing users on an "invisible" bar.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:51 pm 

Hello John,

John wrote:
I have released v3.0.0.0 which adds many of the requested features and fixes many of the issues mentioned as well: http://www.muvenum.com/downloads/

@skyteddy: Search is now configurable. You can now type "clearhistory" from the address bar to clear the history (it does not prompt you and removes the "clearhistory" entry from view as well). And finally, I was able to get the Tab-Key working for going through the autocompletion list!!!!!

waooh! Perfect! Great! I like the new version! Thank you very much!

I report my little suggestions and problems in the new thread.

many thanks again!
R@iner

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » MuvEnum Address Bar » Suggestions / Feedback